Craftistic Endeavors

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

All right, Universe, I can take a hint.

This isn't actually about anything craftistic, just a true story that I had to share.

The other day I was trying to send some magnets (the cheap promotional kind you put on the fridge, like from Peapod) to our sister company in Canada. I had thought that our countries were basically friends, but Canadian import customs routines are not what I'd call friendly. After spending over 10 minutes on the phone with FedEx, I finally had most of it figured out. What I hadn't counted on was the fact that our FedEx account is still in N's name (she's left the company), and there's some declaration form that you have to sign that was pre-filled with her name. I was sort of reluctant to perjure myself by just signing her name, but I didn't know if it would cause problems if I crossed out her name and wrote in my own. And it occurred to me to wonder if it actually was perjury if it was in writing. You know how there's the difference between libel and slander, and I wondered if there was something similar for perjury, like is there a different word if you're not under oath? So I grabbed my dictionary to look it up, and the first page that it opened to had, as a guide word, "Lie detector." That sort of freaked me out, so I took my lesson from the universe and cancelled the FedEx shipment and sent it US Mail, with a sticky note for the mailroom to contact me if they needed more info for the customs forms. I didn't hear a word from them, and I was only vaguely paranoid for the rest of the day.

Okay, I feel like I should make this about something that I actively did (not just something weird that happened) so here's a photo that I took last week. It's of the Sears Tower from the Buckingham Fountain plaza.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home