Craftistic Endeavors

Friday, June 15, 2007

Another Guest Crafting Spot for Mom

I told you I'd get back to blogging, didn't I?

Here we have the "before" view of my couch. I've had it for probably 6 or 7 years now; ever since a lovely coworker gave it to me and my then-roommate. It's still in quite good condition, but the fabric was getting a bit on the worn and dirty side, plus it wasn't quite the color I had in mind for my living room when I moved. So I bought fabric to slipcover it. They do slipcovers all the time on Trading Spaces, how hard could it be, right? Right. That fabric then sat in a closet for 3 1/2 years.

Finally, my dear mother suggested that she could come out and "help" me make the slipcover. In Mom speak, that actually meant that she would do all the work, and all I really had to do was feed her and give her a place to sleep. I thought that was a pretty good deal, so I said OK!

The first thing Mom did was suggest a change in how she'd use the fabric I bought. I had planned to make the whole couch a plain peach color. Maybe a bit boring, but no problems with matching up patterns! And I had just a yard of a pretty print that I planned to use for pillows, just to liven it up a bit. Mom gently suggested that an all-over plain pattern would pretty much disappear against my walls, so how about if she used the print for the tops of the cushions? And of course, she was right. Mom is always right; why is this so hard to accept? There was nearly enough fabric to do it; she had to cheat a bit on the parts that stick out past the arms, but it was close enough.

Four days later, this is what we had. Mom did her usual wonderful and meticulous job, and I am very pleased with the result. It's bright and pretty and it matches my wall color very well. (I was lucky to find a fabric that matched my paint so well; if there is a next time for this sort of project, I will find the fabric first and then match the paint to the fabric.)


Here's a bit better view of what that print fabric looks like.

Many, many thanks to my wonderful mother who volunteered to do this project for me! You're the best, Mom!

4 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, June 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, SOMEONE has to leave a comment, so I guess it's going to be me! Have you noticed that all my writing tonight has a LOT of upper case letters???? And extra punctuation??? Cause it DOES!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!

 
At 9:40 AM, June 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I haven't visited here for a long time and the sofa slipcover is awesome - way to go Mama Taft -or would that be Ma-Tay?

 
At 9:52 PM, June 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I checked it out again. I promise, a certain Mom person will take a gander in a couple of days.

Dad

 
At 5:48 PM, November 11, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home