Craftistic Endeavors

Thursday, March 06, 2008

A Knitting Riddle

What do you get when you knit a swatch of the most popular pattern on the internet, using the world's nastiest acryllic yarn?

You get a Crapotis! (Thank you, I'll be here all week. Please tip your server.)

Without going into the question of why I have such an awful yarn in my stash, I will say that I wanted to be sure I would be able to knit the ever-popular Clapotis pattern without having to ruin my beautiful Malabrigo yarn by frogging or tinking around with an unfamiliar pattern. So I grabbed this icky yarn and gave it a try, using the directions for changing the size. This swatch worked out to be, oh, 6 by 9 inches or so, and gave me enough of an idea of how the pattern would work to feel confident that I would be able to knit it.

I had a bit of trouble with the increases at the very end of a row; only one of my knitting books even mentioned the pfb technique, not that it was so named in the book, and the diagram and text were particularly unhelpful. Maybe that'll be another post some day. So I went to my friends at KnittingHelp.com and found this page; scroll down to the KFB section and look for the part on using this technique in a purl row. I practiced it in the middle of a row and found that helpful to get the general idea down before I tried to apply it at the end of the row. (I don't know why this was such a mental block, but 2 balls of yarn into my real Clapotis I am well beyond it now.)

I can also see, now, as I was pinning out the swatch, just why you hold the yarn in front when you slip the first stitch of a row, and slip it purlwise. If you slip knitwise with the yarn held in back, you'll get a much looser edge. I am still not sure why this would be so, but it is, and now I know. (And knowing is half the battle.) Now if only I could figure out why knitting books go directly from "here is how you knit a stitch" to "here is a pattern for your first sweater" without ever mentioning the stuff like this, I'd be a happy camper.

Real Clapotis pictures will follow, at some point.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, March 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crapotis. Nice one. Anyway, yeah, get those gorgeous real-deal photos up when you can. Or, heck, don't - I'll be seeing it in a few weeks anyway:)

 
At 12:48 PM, March 10, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished off the third skein of yarn yesterday, and if my nose-to-fingertip measurement can be trusted, I am over halfway done. (I left my measuring tape at KG last week and since I can't go this week I won't get it back until the retreat this weekend.)

It's so awesome, you won't be able to stand it.
~R

 
At 9:19 AM, March 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you have icky yarn?

 
At 9:24 AM, March 31, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not written to you in AGES. I have been fairly busy (I am pretty much at the limit of what this pregnant body can handle anyway) and need to write letters. To you. To my grandmothers. Maybe when my mom is here - she's flying in on the 7th and we plan on doing a lot of packing. I still don't think we'll move to the new house until after the baby is born, but I am not telling the new "deadline" to our contract in hopes that he gets done by that time at least. (-:

Eowyn is a CRANK today. She is in some phase and I don't think I can even blame teething right now. I am waiting for The Manny to show up (good old Uncle Ben!) and probably should go get dressed or something useful like that. We are listening to Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Eowyn is throwing a ball and I am drinking coffee and writing to you! The Sith Lord is squirming (as usual).

My last lecture (last of 2... ha ha) is tomorrow and so I have to finish that up. I have a zillion things to set up in lab today so need to be VERY ON TASK. I don't socialize much at school because I am basically choosing between spending time with people at school or Eowyn and GUESS who wins that contest! (-:

Okay, maybe I should have sent an email, but this is what you get!

love,
eva

 

Post a Comment

<< Home