Craftistic Endeavors

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Well, what do you know, I knit, too!

See, it's not just crocheted baby afghans all the time!

This is actually the first cable knit project I did. (If you can't tell, it's a scarf.) My friend S assures me that it's typical of me to think of this as an easy project, because there are just two different pattern rows that alternate, and the rest is knitting the knits and purling the purls. She claims that most knitters would start with a scarf that had maybe one cable down the middle. But I know me, and I would have been bored silly with that.

I remember starting this last spring some time. I did a test run of the pattern (Aran Plait from the immortal Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Knitting) and decided I really liked it so I'd make a scarf from it. I forget what it was left over from, but this WAS stash yarn. I'll even have to dig around to find what kind of yarn it was, but I have the feeling it's a TLC soft yarn that's discontinued now. It's an aran/fisherman/cream sort of color, despite what you may infer from the photo. And I knit until I ran out of yarn, which was just excellent. One tiny bit of the stash actually used up, hooray!

And here's the close close-up of the pattern stitch. I love how it really looks braided even though it's not. I had just gotten a good start on it in May 2005 when I went down to E's graduation, and I worked on other things over the summer and eventually finished it on my Christmas vacation last year. Whenever I get to the point of actually knitting my First Sweater it'll most likely be a cable knit, the kind that has a cable running up each of the sleeves.

That's all I've got. Stay tuned for more about the baby afghans (because you know there are more)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home