Craftistic Endeavors

Friday, June 09, 2006

Turtling About in Galena

Just a few pictures here of our Memorial Day trip to lovely Galena, IL. I was so impressed with how many historical buildings there are, and how well all of them are kept up. (My apologies if the spacing between pictures & text is weird here, I'm still learning how to work with blogger.)

Our hotel was very cute, all Irish-themed and nicely decorated.










It was also next door to a Happy Joe's, which made me all nostalgic for my youth and really puzzled the rest of the girls because they'd never heard of it. (This should explain why they'd never heard of it.) Does anyone else miss the days when the best birthday party in the world meant roller skating, and then going to Happy Joes for pizza and bubble-gum ice cream?


We visited the Belvedere mansion for a lesson on how not to decorate a lovely historical home.


















The Tiffany lamp does make up for a tiny bit of it, though.












Then we saw the Ulysses S. Grant house for a lesson on how to decorate and maintain a lovely historical home.
















Although the painting of smoking children in one of the upstairs buildings was a bit disturbing.


















The Galena/Jo Daviess County Historical Society and Museum is but one of many lovely buildings in town.





That's it for now. Don't forget, if someone asks you for a plural noun, scream out "Dumbo!"

1 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, June 11, 2006, Blogger The Protagonist said...

DUMBO! I'm just going to interject it whenever to recall the joy of Mad Libs in the van. I am delighted by first, your keen eye for smoking children, and second, by this post's ability to remind me of my first impression of the painting as we strolled Grant's home. Would you send it to me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home